Northeastern State University Oklahoma's College of Optometry (NSUOCO) endorses the
policy that student continuity at a single institution in the professional program
is, most often, in the best interest of the student. The student's reason for transfer
must be compelling and directly related to their ability to complete an O.D. degree.
Students seeking a transfer to NSUOCO from another school or college of optometry must meet the following criteria:
- Must be currently attending a school or college of optometry accredited by the Council on Optometric Education of the American Optometric Association.
- Must be in good academic standing and not on any type of disciplinary action or probation.
- Must submit a letter from the chief executive officer of the transferring institution stating that applicant is in good standing and eligible to continue.
- Must submit a formal application with a letter stating the specific circumstances surrounding the request for transfer.
- Must supply three letters of reference from faculty members at the transferring institution.
- Must meet all current admission requirements and standards of NSUOCO.
- Must supply all official transcripts of course work completed (both optometry and pre-optometry).
- Must submit scores for the Optometry Admission Test.
Requests for transfer are handled on an individual basis by members of the Admissions Committee, who make recommendations to the Dean. Students granted permission for transfer must enroll in all course work scheduled for the members of the particular class into which the student transfers. Credits may be lost in transferring, causing most students to repeat at least one year. Before consideration will be given to any transfer request, there must be an available position in the class to which the student is applying.